Thursday, September 15, 2011

Of Viral posts and the beehives they stir,

It all started when a friend of mine decided to share a link to a rant about some random person thrashing another person verbally. Well... it was a funny read. But then, I found that the post has gone viral and suddenly, that post alone has comments that've crossed one thousand. There are a few of my friends who seem to think that the post is offensive. Well, there were a lot of stereotype bashing. And I've always been a person who never believed in stereotypes. So, I found the post funny but not exactly the type to have me wetting myself with excitement (I've never had anything that garnered that sort of reaction...ever!).

I'm sure the person who posted the rant probably had someone who fit the stereotype be rude to her and this is probably her way of reacting to it. Well, good for her! But to take that post as a blatant standard for how everybody in a place would behave... that's taking things too far. And that reminds me of my post on why I hate the French language. I should say, that was just my way of reacting to how french was introduced to me. For the record, French might be the best thing after Toasted Bread. So, I'd rather not go there. And thank you to every single person who did not take that rant out of context! :)

Coming back to this issue, sure... I hate a few people. If I had my way, I'd have them commit Seppuku every day! But that does not mean I hate everyone who has a cultural or academic background similar to them. If that's the case, I'd probably have to hate three quarter of the world's population! And that's a lot of hate.

Now, what am I getting to? Well, I'd just like to say that the blogger of that particular rant is probably wondering whatever made that post go viral. And if people found it interesting enough to share, power to them. But one cannot say that it was silly of people to have done so. If that was the case, everything that went viral wouldn't have gone so. Let's take these things with a pinch of salt and a tumbler of good old filter kaapi and let things be!

No comments :

Post a Comment