Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Osama's dead.... now what?

There I was, happily napping on the couch thanks to the heady medicines I took to keep my lung infection in check. And then suddenly, I hear sounds of people shouting coming from near me. I blearily open an eye to see random American folks hugging each other and chanting "USA! USA!" and a few others went on like "OBAMA! OBAMA!" The very next frame had the headline "Osama Bin Laden Dead!" and I jolted out of my stupor wondering if I was actually dreaming. And as the remnants of sleep drifted away from me, I realized... The US, after a decade of trials had finally managed to do exactly what they'd set out to.

But even as I saw the reruns of people flocking outside the White House and on Ground Zero, clearly jubiliant about how the destroyer of World Peace was finally destroyed, I had a nagging worry in my head.

True, Osama Bin Laden had taken thousands of innocent lives in his quest for the perfect world. It is also true that his death will not bring back the ones he killed. Irrespective of whether he was an evil man or not, he has been killed... a life has been taken. I don't say that is wrong. Afterall, you reap what you sow. But the Americans could have been a tad bit more sober. It reflects that their value of Human Life is skewed. Irrespective of whether he deserved Death or not (and I personally believe he does!), killing should not be celebrated no matter who is being killed. This celebration is what incenses the opposite party and what causes tension.

As for me, The death of Osama Bin Laden is something that shall bring a partial closure to the ones who lost their loved ones in terror attacks. It will also be the beginning of yet another war on terror with the ones from Osama's camp now having a probable reason to retaliate. I feel sad even... a man who could've taken up his ideals in a more moderate and peaceful way and have achieved perhaps greater success fell into darkness and ended in a way where the whole world seems to celebrate his death. What a waste of a life!

No comments :

Post a Comment