Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm a Red Panda?!! <=)

One of my closest companions tells me I resemble the Red Panda... Now... I find this very flattering and would like to thank the person who made that comment!
ありがとうございます, 剣-くん!
And well... I'm putting up a picture of the Red Panda...


And here are some interesting facts about the Red Panda...
  • Name: Red Panda (Ailurus fulgens "shining fox") also known as the Firefox.
  • Habitat: Endemic to the Himalayas in Bhutan, Laos, southern China, India, Nepal and Burma.
  • Estimated Population: Less than 2,500 mature species.
  • Conservation status: Endangered.
  • Reason for decline in population: Habitat fragmentation, poaching, deforestation.
  • Physical Characteristics: Slightly larger than the domestic cat. The Red Panda is crepuscular (active at dawn and dusk). The major part of its diet is two-thirds bamboo, berries, fruit, mushrooms, roots, acorns, lichen, grasses. They also hunt small prey like fish, small birds, small rodents, eggs and insects on occassion.
  • Some interesting facts: The Red Panda is the state animal of Sikkim. And it is also used to represent Darjeeling in international festivals.

I strongly believe these beautiful creatures ought to be conserved. And one way of doing it is to stop buying products that are a result of commercial deforestation in the Himalayas (furnitures that claim to be made out of trees from the mountains), or those made from the fur of the Red Panda. Well... it would definitely be a shame if we were to lose such adorable and vibrant creatures... And well... maybe my friend wanted me to think along these lines... Maybe that's why he made the comparison? Well... I called him a buffallo in return (Just kidding, 剣-くん!)


Anyway... All I can say is that the eco-system needs to be conserved and let's all do our part. :D

And that's it for now... I'm having absolutely nothing to do and I believe that is eating my brain away!

No comments :

Post a Comment